By signing up to our newsletter!



Detours Up The Kunwak River - Expedition AKOR Week 20

Progress on the first half of this canoe section has been very troublesome for the team of Expedition Akor. Winds have been strong, rain has been falling, and the cold has returned: it has been below zero for days now. Because of these problematic conditions, there was a considerable delay.

Two crucial decisions have been taken by our friends to adapt to the situation. To begin with, they will alter their route yet again. To avoid several large lakes and, accordingly, high winds, they will go up the Kunwak River. 

Näak Blog | Expedition Akor Week 20

They have also prepared a new supply in two weeks to cooperate with their detours. This will allow them to keep a cool head despite the delay: they will feel more comfortable if they have more food and naphtha. 

The team has spoken with their contact Aziz from Resolute Bay, who owns a piece of land on an outfitter somewhere along the way (we could not hear the exact location during the satellite call).

Of course, this means that they plan to arrive much later than expected in Black Lake, northern Saskatchewan. Probably two or three weeks behind schedule. But they are comfortable with that reality.

Näak Blog | Expedition Akor Week 20

The team's primary concern is to stay safe throughout the expedition, and we are hopeful that the latest plan provides the best route for the explorers to take on this monumental adventure.

Make sure to follow along on our social media accounts, @naakbars to stay up to date with any breaking news and photos from Expedition AKOR. Be sure to read more about the team on our previous Blog Posts.

Näak Blog | Expedition Akor week 6

Visit to read more about the teams’ journey, or follow them on Instagram @expeditionakor.

Expedition AKOR

← Older Post Newer Post →